Saturday, October 26, 2013

Today we journeyed to the Islands Togolo and Cheganga (I am not sure of the spelling). We saw how the lack of knowledge about nutrition is being addressed. Groups have been formed there that take part together in growing a communal garden. They have classes during the week to learn what foods have good nutrition in them so that they can provide for their families and keep them healthy. As a group they bring their produce to the market as well and earn a profit to be distributed between the members. Through this program families are being taught about healthy alternatives and how simple it is to prevent sickness.
This is the Boar Hole where children play and are often sent to fetch the water for their family.

Whenever I go to the village my heart is always altered. A part of it is left with those children who yell "Muzungu (which means white person), How are you?" or run up to me to hold my hand or are sick from a lack of the proper diet. Yet, it is God who is in control, God who knows each and every one of those children, and God who loves them with His steadfast love that reassures me each time.


When we were in the different villages today I learned many new Lusoga words, but my favorite phrase was "Mukama baloonji (I'm not sure of the spelling. Pronunciation=Moo-kah-ma Ba-loon-gee)" God is good!! How simple, yet powerful. Amidst the struggles of life, the uncertainties, and joyful moments God is good!!


 Thank you for your prayers and support!
 
Mukama Baloonji!!
Ruth and Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment