Tuesday, December 17, 2013


There’s a snake in my… BATHROOM?!?!?!?!

Not quite the same as Woody’s, the cowboy from Toy Story, famous line, but This IS Africa!

As I entered the bathroom a 2.5 foot long, bright green snake was awaiting me slithered up against the pane of our bathroom window. After much screaming, and panic (Did I mention that snakes are the ONE animal that I am scared clear out of my socks of!?) I decided the time had come to be practical. So, after deciding this snake must never get in our house again, paranoid that I would one day open my suitcase and find a snake inside-EWW, the logical conclusion was for it to be killed.  I retrieved our only weapon, the 3 inch blade knife Lyd is borrowing from her dad, along with an empty bottle to hold him down and set my face for the worst.

The snake moved to the
 garbage can in our bathroom
 

The snake had transitioned to its original location, the gardener’s bathroom, which is connected to ours through a vent. I walked outside to the gardener’s door and timidly pushed it open, once locating the snake, which was curled up near the vent, I returned back to our bathroom and mustered up the courage to poke it completely through to the other side with the knife so that I could get at him

This job completed I returned back to the gardener’s bathroom, but could not see the snake until I realized he was wrapped along a pipe staring straight at me- ekk! Ok God, give me strength and courage. With my heart pumping I inched closer, then retreated at its hissing, inched again, and retreated. Deciding I was finished with this game I continued to close in, but he saw my plan and began to retreat for safety, up to the tank where the water was stored for the toilet.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Ok, here goes nothing – and with a final lunge, slice! Snake blood squirts onto my hand, drips down the wall, and half of the body, the part with the head, falls to the bathroom floor.  He continues to squirm around and I realize, this isn’t finished- ughhh! With empty bottle in hand and knife in the other I attempt to hold the snake down and cut again, but I back out before the work is done- scared of the wriggling critter.

God fill me with your calm!  This time I hold the creature down with purpose and quickly detach the head from the body. Whew, ok, I feel all shaky like I just drank a large caribou mocha on an empty stomach and the espresso just kicked in,

Thanks God for answered prayer. What do I do with it now? Time to call Nate.
 
 
We apologize for not updating our blog in awhile. This is a small piece of excitement from the month of December. Thanks so much for all of your prayers as God continues to work in Uganda!
Katonda akuwe omukisa (God bless you),
Lydia and Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment